very slow syncing, any ideas?

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Thu Oct 19 19:23:14 EDT 2006

Hello,

> Looking at taht i'd say you're VERY badly CPU bound.  a simple dd/cp
> doesn't do anything to the mail but IMAP ops will require some CPU
> work....Cyrus also will probably be forcing syncs but your I/O load
> doesn't look that high (my mfe's run more I/O and they're not storing
> any mail, just logs and temporary files for virus/spam scanning heh, and
> they only have a little IDE HDD each)

I found the option berkeley_cachesize which is way too low by default.
Transactions just reading or writing db-entries (i.e. changes of flags)
are much faster now.

Indead, the imapsync processes are causing much load:

20461 root      25   0 79988  36m 2488 R   63  3.6  13:24.10 imapsync
20925 root      25   0 14908 8196 2664 R   57  0.8   0:31.49 imapsync

But what does them make so cpu-expensive?

> I'd guess you're being CPU bound

What would you do if you would need to migrate from Maildir to cyrus? It
is not important for me to keep the flags. I would be happy if I could
move all message files to the appropriate cyrus folder. But will cyrus
detect them automatically? Or is there any rebuild-command required?

Regards
Marten