migrating mailboxes by copying files?

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Thu Oct 19 17:32:36 EDT 2006

Hello,

since imapsync sessions take to long for our several thousand mailbox
setup (although it's still running in the background while I'm writing
this) I'm asking myself, if there isn't another way to migrate the messages.

Maildir does store each message in a separate file and same does cyrus.
The accounts in cyrus are all created. Couldn't I just copy all messages
from a Maildir to the according cyrus-folder and run a rebuild-tool for
the mailbox after I moved and renamed the message-files? Which scheme
does the numbering of the files follow in cyrus? Is it always increasing
(1., 2., 3., and so on)? If there is such a tool, what is the name and
how can I use it? I guess cyrus is rebuilding the cyrus.* files and
updating the quota-usage?

Regards
Marten