Mail forwarding to a dynamic IP address.

Martin G.H. Minkler minkler at artegic.de
Thu Oct 19 10:12:52 EDT 2006

Rajeev R Veedu schrieb:

> Since we have only an ADSL line on site office if there any way I could
> forward the mails for these staff members to another Mail Server with
> dynamic IP address?

Use a dyndns service [1] to make the remote ADSL IP resolvable by name
and forward directly to that, then forward port 25 in Your firewall
setup at the remote site to the mailserver inside the remote intranet
(guessing at Your setup here).

e.g. have Your distributing mail server's virtual-maps state something
like this

user at domain	user at dyndnsdomain

NB:
After automatic disconnects of the ADSL line until Your dyndns-client
updates the IP You will get timeouts in Your logs but those are
temporary and should be retried anyway.

To make things look nice You can create an explicit MX record for the
dyndns domain. Remember to set the remote mailserver to accept mails
addressed to the dyndns domain.

Even nicer: Use TLS between the two servers, maybe even with certs.

[1] https://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/features.html

have fun

Martin