Webmail

Zachariah Mully zmully at smartbrief.com
Mon Oct 16 18:47:49 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 23:24 +0200, Martin G.H. Minkler wrote:
> Zachariah Mully wrote:
> >
> > I would stay far far away from kolab for anything more than one or two
> > person use. Especially if you plan on using it with Outlook as the
> > Outlook connector stores the Kolab data in a binary format, making it
> > unsearchable on the server side, hence retardedly slow as you need to
> > suck down an entire folder (the complete message, not just the headers),
>
> You're talking about the Toltec Connector, correct?
>
> There is an alternative called KONSEC connector that stores non-mail
> items as a binary mail with a special header in a separate folder IIRC.

Same difference. Since all objects in Kolab are email messages, if
they're binary, they have to be processed on the client side, since that
format eliminates any server side searching... And pretty much
eliminates any reason for storing the objects as email messages in the
first place. Dumb architecture decision. KONSEC does the same damn thing
as Toltec, and is just as worthless, especially in a heterogenious
environment of webclients and Oulook, you're punishing your webclient
users as well as making your server do some completely unnecessary heavy
lifting. Not mention the architectures severe suckitude over slow WAN
links.

But, you know, other than that, it's great ;)

> > For just webmail though, Horde is great, especially if you install the
> > sieve rule manager and the password tool, then people can manage their
> > own vacation/ooo rules, as well as update their passwords.
>
> AFAIK horde's CVS branch offers integration into Kolab (or the other way
> around, there was sth. on the kolab site)

Yes, that's what I was alluding to... Outlook+Horde+Kolab does not work
well at all.