lmtp should give temporary failure for mailbox unknown

Ramprasad ram at netcore.co.in
Fri Oct 13 03:29:09 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 11:55 -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
> I have seen this behavior.  It happens when a mail account exists in
> authentication (ie mysql) but when the mailbox doesn't exist yet.
>
> Are you using autocreate inbox?  If so, are you sure that the inbox
> exists for these mailboxes prior to the message delivery?  Or you could
> enable "createonpost"  (I recommend against this for oh-so-many reasons,
> but YMMV)

No
I dont use autocreate inbox. And as I have said lmtp accepts mail for
the same ids most of the times. One in every ~300 mails bounces
unexplicably

I am now doing a dumb thing of running postfix on the cyrus box too to
accept the mails and relay to unix lmtp. This is loading the already
loaded cyrus server ( with approx 20000 active acounts ) .. but atleast
clients dont get bounced messages from my bosses id.

This has surely got to do with the load on the cyrus machine. But
returning 550 when machine is loaded is a *really* dumb idea.