global sieve folder ... ?

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sat Oct 7 02:44:14 EDT 2006

--On Wednesday, August 16, 2006 09:20:23 -0400 Zachariah Mully
<zmully at smartbrief.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 00:04 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> > Admins aren't supposed to be regular users, meaning they aren't supposed
>> > to  have INBOXes or sieve scripts.  It has said this in the docs for a
>> > quite  while (perhaps as far back as v1.6?).
>> >
>> > Cyrus 2.3 and recent 2.2 releases allow sieve scripts to be placed on
>> > shared  mailboxes.  This is done by authenticating to timsieved as an
>> > admin, which  then places scripts in the global/ namespace.
>>
>> Great, now I have to change my whole mail system *sniffle*
>>
>> This is going to be fun :(
>
> Umh, why? Can't you simply name another user (perhaps 'mailadmin' or
> something like that) as the administrator in the cyrus config? Why are
> you giving clients admin rights?

We run VPSs ... each VPS has their own cyrus instance running, one instance per
client ... each cyrus instance can run multiple domains (virt-domains), and
each one of the owners of the domain has the ability to create/remove accounts

So ... I had to modify all of the various scripts to connect for admin as
'cyrus' vs 'admin' (done) and the GUI interface as well ... the GUI interfce
was easy, since its in one place ... the scripts are more fun, since we
currently have >300 VPSs that need to be 'upgraded' ...

Time consuming mostly ...

----