Cyrus, Solaris 10, ZFS? (and NIS?)

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Thu Oct 5 22:05:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 16:46 -0400, Chaskiel M Grundman wrote:
> mynewstate is taking 8s to run, and very little of the time is taken up in
> local subroutines.
> auth_unix.c:mynewstate calls getpwnam, and then iterates over all the
> groups using getgrent(),
> checking to see what groups the user is in. The fact that imapd does this
> twice might be a bug, but even if it didn't do it twice, it would still be
> slow.

to speed up initgroups, make sure you have the netid.byname NIS map.  if
you're not familiar with it, the keys should be "unix.UID at NISDOMAIN",
the values are "UID:GID,GID,GID,...".  an example for my account, which
is uid 1232 in domain "ifi":

key: "unix.1232 at ifi"
value: "1232:0,6,15,7411,11232"

presto, no iteration through the complete group map needed!
--
Kjetil T.