Cyrus, Solaris 10, ZFS? (and NIS?)

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Oct 5 17:37:16 EDT 2006

--On October 5, 2006 4:46:54 PM -0400 Chaskiel M Grundman
<cg2v at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> mynewstate is taking 8s to run, and very little of the time is taken up
> in local subroutines.
> auth_unix.c:mynewstate calls getpwnam, and then iterates over all the
> groups using getgrent(),
> checking to see what groups the user is in. The fact that imapd does this
> twice might be a bug, but even if it didn't do it twice, it would still
> be slow.
>
> Is running "getent group" slow?

We had to patch this out of our Cyrus frontends using LDAP as well because
it iterates instead of retrieves.  We just decided not to support groups in
the ACL's.

I'd suspect this is exactly whats going on is this code is still there in
latest Cyrus and it's building the ACL representation.  If you don't care
about groups you can find, and remove, that code as we did.