Failing to authenticate on the frontends

Jesus Roncero jesus at mxtelecom.com
Wed Oct 4 11:18:41 EDT 2006

Hi,
So I got the whole murder system running. Apparently, both the frontend
server and the backend server can communicate. I have a backend server
that has a couple of mailboxes, one of which is called "joe". I'm using
a sasldb file on both of the machines (backend and frontend) to store
users and passwords.

The problem is that when I connect to the frontend using an imap client,
the authentication fails, as using telnet:

cyrus at frontend:/etc$ telnet localhost 143
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID STARTTLS] frontend Cyrus
IMAP4 v2.3.7 server ready
1 login "joe" "password"
1 NO Login failed: authentication failure

However, if I _add_ a user/password "joe" to the local user database at
the frontend, then it works:

cyrus at frontend:/etc$ ../sasl/sbin/saslpasswd2 -c -f sasldb2 joe
[...]
cyrus at frontend:/etc$ telnet localhost 143
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID STARTTLS] frontend Cyrus
IMAP4 v2.3.7 server ready
1 login "joe" "password"
1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID LOGINDISABLED ACL
RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME
UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE CONDSTORE
IDLE URLAUTH] User logged in

And from here on, an IMAP client is able to browse and see all the
messages at joe's mailbox.

So, the question is, isn't the frontend supposed to contact the backend
responsible of that mailbox in order to authenticate the user? or it
needs to have "joe"'s password at the frontend as well?

Best wishes.

--
Jesus Roncero <jesus at mxtelecom.com>
System Developer