Cyrus authentication failed

mailing at scastagnoli.info mailing at scastagnoli.info
Mon Oct 2 12:36:24 EDT 2006

Hello everyone!
I was trying to make some test over backing up and recovery a simple IMAP
server inside a LAN.
First I have uninstalled cyrus-imapd and cyrus-sasl-saslathd RPMs from my
SuSE 10.1.

Second I've deleted cyrus user from my system.

I overrided the folowing directories:
/var/spool/imap
/var/lib/imap
/var/lib/sieve
with the ones of te system I would recover.

Then I've created a plaintext backup of mailboxes.db using (as root):
su -cyrus -c "ctl_mailboxlist -d" > mailboxlist.txt

I've build a database from the plaintext using:
cvt_cyrusdb mailboxlist.txt

Now I can connect to Cyrus with:
telnet localhost 143
as every user listed with:
sasldblistusers
except as cyrus.

I think this is the source for strange messages I find in
/valr/log/messages like:
lmtpunix[21679]: IOERROR: fstating sieve script
/var/lib/sieve/u/utente/defaultbc: No such file or directory

My server IMAP can receive mails from inside and outside the LAN.
Anyway, it's unconfortable I receive:
0: NO "authentication failed"

for the command:
 testsaslauthd -u cyrus -p cyrus