Captive mailbox in Cyrus IMAP?

Nik Conwell nik at bu.edu
Thu Nov 30 07:44:53 EST 2006

On Nov 29, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> The only thing I don't like is use of a file in the filesystem as a
> flag
> instead of using a proper configuration file whos contents can be
> version controlled and more easily backed up, restored, documented,
> centralized, shared, and understood.  I.e. tables in files are much
> better suited to this use.  (unless perhaps you happen to have a brain

I go back and forth on this.  I used to be a file guy but recently
I've been automating some linux stuff and so I've been swayed by the
ease of placing a file in a directory without having to do passes
through a file and the locking, updating only that entry logic, and
utilities for managing the file that it brings along with it.  (That
said, I have a perl program I use for automated additions to
monolithic files (fstab, exports, whatever), allowing for example
fstab.[whatever] to be easily appended to and removed from fstab.)
For version control we have a convention where old versions of files
are named filename.YYYYMMDD which usually provides enough
breadcrumbs.  Let's hope we don't adopt usernames of that form...

In this case I'm just being lazy - it was easier to throw something
together to check for the presence of the file rather than coding to
parse a config file (I'd want to allow comments and have decent error
messages for parsing errors).  I've been spoiled by Perl such that
any ad hoc parsing and string handling in C is painful.

> Did you do anything about the "seen" state of the unread message?
> Maybe
> I'm just ignorant of how a read-only inbox will behave though --
> perhaps
> the message will always appear new (and a POP client will always
> download it anew too) and so nothing need be done special?

Nothing special on the "seen" state so it's just how it behaves to
something with ACL lr.  My experience with Apple Mail is that the e-
mail shows up as new and unread each time.