NFSv4, anyone?

Greg A. Woods woods-cyrus at weird.com
Wed Nov 29 16:02:22 EST 2006

At Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:52:08 +0100,
Michael Menge wrote:

> As far as i know NFSv4 has the locking support, but nobody has tested
> it with cyrus till know. All shared filesystems have to deal with the
> problem that they need to cache informations to be fast and to get all
> changes to keep consistent.

NFSv4 has a better design and better protocols for implementing
filesystem level locking, but that doesn't mean any particular
implementation will be better, or even that it will have it.

Take for example the *BSD's.  They haven't had client-side NFS locking
implementations even for NFSv3, except for some very recently.

(NetBSD had excellent and quite robust server-side NFSv3 locking a
relatively long time ago, but still has no real client-side locking
implementation.  I.e. it can be used to implement a robust NFSv3 file
server, but don't expect to do database work on any diskless NFS client
implemented using NetBSD, yet.)

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>