NFSv4, anyone?

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Wed Nov 29 11:55:26 EST 2006

Hi,

Simon Matter wrote:

>>I just tried the in-memory NFSv4 server from citi (in newpynfs); it is
>>very very slow, and I had to lower the number of concurrent users in
>>imaptest (to prevent 'stalling errors') - but it seems to work better! I
>>don't get any locking problems in the logs.
>>
>>So it could be just the server on Linux that is causing problems... and
>>it might work on a Solaris server or NAS like NetApp...
>
> That's why I said someone with Solaris could try it. I'm not surprised if
> it works there...

I took some time to try the Linux nfs4 client (RHEL4) with a Solaris 10
nfs4 server (default install) instead of the RHEL4 server. I copied over
my spool, started cyrus... and this is actually more dramatic.

[root at haver dovecot-1.0.rc7]# ./imaptest
Error: STORE failed: s NO System I/O error
Error: STORE failed: s NO System I/O error
Error: STORE failed: s NO System I/O error
Error: STORE (\Deleted) failed: sd NO System I/O error
Auth Logi Sele Fetc Fet2 Stor Dele Expu Appe Logo Disc
    0   24   24   22   22    5    3    1    1    1    0
Error: APPEND failed: a NO System I/O error
Error: APPEND failed: a NO System I/O error
Error: STORE failed: s NO System I/O error
Error: EXPUNGE failed: e NO System I/O error

After a couple of these errors I got a kernel panic on my Linux client,
repetitive.

I'm really surprised that it works this bad. (No, it worries me. I hope
I made some serious mistakes.)

I should try solaris -> solaris now, of course... (And NetApp, but we
don't have such a filer, yet. Hmm, I actually wanted to use that with
nfs4 for other purposes (too)...)

Paul