Sharing Murder?

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Wed Nov 29 11:46:46 EST 2006

On 29 Nov 2006, at 10:46, Janne Peltonen wrote:
> The part '... all "replicated" servers can serve the same mailboxes
> from a
> shared filesystem' attracted my attention. Is this the LB that is
> reported not
> to work with current murder/replication? Or is this something else?

In the "replicated" mupdate_config, each backend (nothing to do with
replication) is meant to serve data from a common mail spool, while
maintaining a "replicated" copy of mailboxes.db.  The changes to
implement this IMAP_ENUM_MUPDATE_CONFIG_REPLICATED are isolated to
imap/mupdate-client.c, effectively to just remove references to the
backend server.  So, this configuration would remove the various
locking problems surrounding mailboxes.db, since each backend would
be maintaining a separate copy.  Any concerns related to locking in
the mail spool would still be relevant, tho that locking is typically
less esoteric.  You'd need to have an mupdate master as well.

:wes