2.6 Kernel and POP issues

Robert T. Covell rcovell at rolet.com
Tue Nov 28 11:35:40 EST 2006

Looking over my start up scripts I found that the system is using
urandom and not random.

Should I be using the compile option: --with-egd-socket
>From the configure explanation I would not think so.

If in fact urandom is being used and the entropy pool is working would
there be anything else I can look at to gleam light on the issue?

Thanks,
-Bob

----rc.S Snippet----
# Carry an entropy pool between reboots to improve randomness.
if [ -f /etc/random-seed ]; then
  echo "Using /etc/random-seed to initialize /dev/urandom."
  cat /etc/random-seed > /dev/urandom
fi
# Use the pool size from /proc, or 512 bytes:
if [ -r /proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize ]; then
  dd if=/dev/urandom of=/etc/random-seed count=1 bs=$(cat
/proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize) 2> /dev/null
else
  dd if=/dev/urandom of=/etc/random-seed count=1 bs=512 2> /dev/null
fi
chmod 600 /etc/random-seed