Global File system and Cyrus

Diego Woitasen diego at woitasen.com.ar
Fri Nov 24 21:20:04 EST 2006

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 11:10:05PM +0100, Miros?aw Jaworski wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 18:17 -0300, Diego Woitasen wrote:
> > I 'm trying to implement a cyrus server using GFS (with a shared storage
> > connected with fiber channel) but can't find information or experiencies
> > about this. In the FAQ somebody says that is not recommended but his
> > entry is two years old. Searching in google and mailing list I don't see
> > a precise information about this combination.
>
> It's general advice not to use networked filesystems due to inevitable
> problems with locking.

GFS is not a networked filesystem, it's a shared filesystems that
implement the full unix semantics, including locking. What kind of locking
problem are you talking about? If the DBD is the problem, can it use
other database?

> > The idea is install two or more servers using a shared storage for all
> > mailboxes, to obtain High Availability and Load Balance.
> >

> You may want to check Cyrus' murder for HA.

mmm, cyrus murder is not a fully HA system, it can suffer of partial outages.