Cyrus IMAP and MySQL mailboxes (Building load-balancing cluster)

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Wed Nov 22 22:17:23 EST 2006

On 22 Nov 2006, at 19:10, Sarah Walters wrote:
> Only a single machine can have write privileges to the mailboxes
> database at a time.

Actually, only a single process can be writing to a mailboxes
database at a time.

> Then, assuming the database is closed between changes (can a
> developer please confirm whether it is kept open by master or not?)
> you should be able to run multiple IMAP servers over the same
> filesystem stored on a NAS (network-attached storage, as opposed to
> SAN).

I'm not sure why closing the database between changes might be
important.  Multiple imapd processes on backends all access the same
mailboxes database.  Writes are serialized with locks.  If a network
filesystem implements these locks correctly, there's no reason why
you couldn't run multiple "backends" against a single redundant
filesystem.  There are a number of examples of people doing this.

:wes