Cyrus IMAP and MySQL mailboxes (Building load-balancing cluster)

Marcelo Maraboli marcelo.maraboli at usm.cl
Tue Nov 21 07:12:21 EST 2006

Hi.

thanks for the input, I know wishing 100% is only available
with a gooooogle size amount of money ;), but I am looking
for a CYRUS IMAP server solution similar to a load balancing
web server farm...i.e:

- a Load balancing server (PEN in Freebsd if you like) that
will direct an IMAP session to ANY of a group of IMAP servers,
all of which have access to a central storage of user MBOXs.

So if any of the IMAP (backend) server dies, the load balancer with
automatically not forward any new requests to that server
and users won´t notice any downtime..

this is diferent from Andrew´s solution number 1, since ANY of
the backend IMAP server should accept connections for ANY user.

examples:
http://siag.nu/pen/vrrpd-linux.shtml
http://redundancy.org/fbsd_lb.html

can IMAP be set up this way ??

regards,

--
Marcelo Maraboli Rosselott
Jefe Area de Redes y Comunicaciones (Network & UNIX Systems Engineer)

Direccion Central de Servicios Computacionales (DCSC)
Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria        phone: +56 32 2654071
Chile.                 http://www.usm.cl   http://elqui.dcsc.utfsm.cl