odd situation, converting from pop3->cyrus

Phil Pennock info-cyrus-spodhuis at spodhuis.org
Mon Nov 20 01:52:46 EST 2006

On 2006-11-20 at 01:45 +0000, Mike wrote:
> Does someone have a configuration handy for using fetchmail(8) to pull

If you're in a situation where, for reliability reasons, you dare not
touch the existing config until you've gotten everything working, then
for reliability reasons do not use fetchmail.  It loses mail if there
are problems, dropping them silently into the bit-bucket instead of
leaving them on the POP3 server.  It's not at all resilient.

One option is getmail: <URL:http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/>

It doesn't pretend to speak SMTP, I use MDA_external to invoke my MTA
(Exim) as an MDA; this has benefits for you since if you're later going
to switch to using direct SMTP delivery then you need to have your MTA
configured and working, so this will test almost the same
routing/delivery logic within the MTA (barring configured differences
for locally submitted email, etc).

[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/local/sbin/exim
# %(recipient) relies upon Exim treating all domains accepted by ISP as being
# local; mail loop possible if not careful.  Can also consider using
# "%(local)@spodhuis.org" but then losing some information for forwarded
# domains.
arguments = ("-oi", "-f", "%(sender)", "%(recipient)")

I also turn off "delivered_to" at this stage in the [options] section.

Regards,
-Phil