problem with replication using cyrus imap suse packages?

Steve Howe stephen at paymentsystemsltd.com
Fri Nov 17 11:34:45 EST 2006

Hi all,

First time posting here so apologies if this in the wrong format or
wrong address etc.

I'm testing a server with suse 64bit on and I installed
cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-29.x86_64.rpm, cyrus-imapd-devel-2.2.12-29.x86_64.rpm
and cyrus-imapd-debuginfo-2.2.12-29.x86_64.rpm onto it.

Got it all working fine with postfix, cheerfully trundling along. now I
want to use replication to have a master/slave relationship going with
another server.

Looked at the website
http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/imapd/install-replication.html

All looks fine, easy and not taking too much work.Then I realise that I
don't have the command sync_server anywhere on my suse box.

which is something of a problem according to the website above.

Running the command
rpm -qpl cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-29.x86_64.rpm | grep bin

results in:
/sbin/rccyrus
/usr/bin/cyradm
/usr/bin/imtest
/usr/bin/installsieve
/usr/bin/lmtptest
/usr/bin/mupdatetest
/usr/bin/nntptest
/usr/bin/pop3test
/usr/bin/sieveshell
/usr/bin/sivtest
/usr/bin/smtptest
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/arbitron
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/chk_cyrus
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/compile_sieve
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/ctl_cyrusdb
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/ctl_deliver
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/ctl_mboxlist
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/cvt_cyrusdb
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/cyr_expire
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/cyrdump
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/deliver
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/fetchnews
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/fud
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/idled
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/imapd
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/ipurge
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/lmtpd
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/lmtpproxyd
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/master
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/mbexamine
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/mbpath
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/mupdate
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/nntpd
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/notifyd
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/pop3d
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/pop3proxyd
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/proxyd
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/quota
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/reconstruct
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/sievec
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/smmapd
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/squatter
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/timsieved
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/tls_prune

sync_server does not exist in any other of the rpm's I downloaded as well.

I find myself in need of help which is why I come to you learned people.
Anyone know why sync_server (the application to enable synchronisation,
i'm told) would not be included in an RPM of cyrus Imapd please?

(previously I've used debian and either used apt-get or installed it
manually but boss likes nice suse rpm's. pillock.)

Any ideas please?

thanks for any and all help offered.

Steve