see who is online

Scott Adkins adkinss at ohio.edu
Fri Nov 17 10:09:26 EST 2006

Have you verified that the proc files that are that old are really processes
that no longer exist?  On our system, we do have lots of old proc files, but
the processes are still around as well (and connections are ESTABLISHED).
We are looking at turning on KEEPALIVE in the kernel, which likely will get
rid of a number of these if for some reason there is something wrong with
the connections, even if they do say they are ESTABLISHED.  In any case, we
have seen processes stick around for months as a result.

On the other hand, if your server crashes or you have processes that go away
in a bad way (which isn't good for Cyrus in general), you will have proc files
that stick around.  What we have done is have our Cyrus startup script wipe
the directory prior to startup.  The easiest way to do this is something like
the following:

  mv /var/imap/proc /var/imap/proc-delete
  mkdir /var/imap/proc
  chmod 750 /var/imap/proc              <may vary in your environment>
  chown cyrus /var/imap/proc            <may vary in your environment>
  <startup cyrus>
  rm -rf /var/imap/proc-delete &

The above procedure prevents the cleanup of the directory from interfering
with the speed of trying to get the server back up and running.

Scott