Cyrus IMAP and MySQL mailboxes (Building load-balancing cluster)

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 16 16:46:35 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 07:24:32PM +0300, Igor Zhbanov wrote:
> The main problem is to build a shared storage that can survive server
> crashes, where mail will be stored. I have found that MySQL-cluster is
> reliable and fast.

My

god.

You are aware that MySQL-cluster only supports in-memory databases in
all but the most recent development snapshots?

If your mail system is so small you can afford to put all your users
email in memory, then good for you.  Otherwise, mysql replication won't
buy you much more than Cyrus replication with a few good monitoring
scripts (and yes, we have failed real cyrus replications off failed
machines now - it's never fun, but going through the logs we lost a
grand total of two messages, and they had both been sieved into the
Junk Mail folder anyway.)

Seriously, see the other response, DbMail might be what you want -
personally I'd put blobs in the filesystem (actually, my SHA1 based
VFS system, but that's a different story) and metadata in mysql... if
I was writing my perfect IMAP solution, which I'm not, yet.  Cyrus
does the job just fine, and you work around the wrinkles.  It's better
than anything else out there for a biggish system right now.

Bron.