some notes on upgrading from 2.1.15 to 2.2.12

Greg A. Woods woods-cyrus at weird.com
Thu Nov 16 15:29:15 EST 2006

This may not be too important for anyone any more, I had some weirdness
with quotas wehn upgrading from 2.1.15 to 2.2.12.

At first I thought that all my quotas were somehow lost during the
upgrade.  Originally I thought this might have been because I
inadvertently left the Cyrus master daemon turned on when I first
rebooted the system back to multi-user mode.  It seemed as though the
quotas.db file, was completely empty after the aborted run of the new
version prior to DB conversion.  Hmmm....  hang on, maybe that's also
because the old version had been configured to use quotalegacy by
default, which are the individual files in /var/quota/?/user.*; but the
new version was configured to use a skiplist DB by default, and the
actual setting was never present in the config file.

Not thinking about the quotalegacy issue (because I was too tired) I
simply re-assigned the quotas manually using the cyradm interface, shut
down master, then used "quota -f" to recover the usage numbers.  However
during recovery I noted some very strange things happening with the
"quota -f" runs.  The first time I ran "quota -f" without any mailboxes
then it seemed to whack the usage numbers by a factor of two (I can't
remember which way) on the mailboxes where I had already done a test run
of "quota -f user.USER".

Then I ran "quota -f" twice more without parameters and finally it
settled down and agreed with the usage numbers of "quota -f user.USER".

I don't know what's up with all that, but it was definitely weird.

BTW, the text given in the upgrading document under the "Upgrading from
2.1.x or earlier" section strongly recommend backing up the old
databases before moving them into place but then the example doesn't
actually show this being done.  The examples _should_ be complete!

There should probably also be examples showing how to convert other
databases, such as the quotas.db file, into new formats and some
guidance (right in that same spot in the upgrading doc) as to what
formats are most effective for given purposes.  In my tired stupor I was
following the upgrading document and that's the real reason I forgot to
do anything with the quota_db -- it simply wasn't mentioned.

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>