duplicate suppression / message expiration

cyrus-admin at spiresfamily.com cyrus-admin at spiresfamily.com
Tue Nov 14 23:03:22 EST 2006

Environment:
OS: Fedora Core 5
Sendmail: 8.13.8
Cyrus Imapd: 2.3.1
MimeDefang
spamass-milter
clamav-milter

During a transition to the Cyrus Imapd server I noticed from time to time that
some of my messages would disappear after copying them from my old IMAP server.
  I was doing a manual copy using Thunderbird with multiple IMAP accounts
(simple enough).

I tracked it down (or I think I did) to the duplicate suppression feature.  I
disabled this in my /etc/imapd.conf file, restarted the imap server, copied the
mail from the old server again.  The next day the mail was gone again.

Upon further research I found that even though I had duplicatesuppression: 0 set
in my /etc/imapd.conf file, messages still appeared to be marked as duplicates
and purged.

In my /etc/cyrus.conf file I found:
delprune     cmd="cyr_expire -E 3" at=0400
and commented it out.  At this point my "duplicate" marked messages were no
longer being deleted.  Great!  Probably not the right solution, but Great none
the less.

Now, one of the features that I really liked (and reasons I chose Cyrus over
other imap servers) was the folder message expiration feature.  Great feature,
however, I think I have this disabled, because even though I have an expire set
on a folder:

localhost.localdomain> info user.juser.SPAM.Quarantine at mydomain.com
{user.juser.SPAM.Quarantine at mydomain.com}:
   expire: 30
   lastpop:
   lastupdate: 14-Nov-2006 22:36:11 -0500
   partition: default
   size: 35425808

Messages never "expire" out of this folder.

Am I correct in assuming this is because I have the "delprune" event commented
out in my /etc/cyrus.conf file, and if this is correct, how do I go about
ensuring that messages are removed that shouldn't be (ie - the messages that
cyrus thinks are duplicates).

Sorry if this is glaringly obvious, but I couldn't seem to find the answer.

-Tyler

PS- Great work on the IMAP server so far I'm truly impressed with it over the
others I've used (UW, Dovecot, etc...)