flags on backuped mails

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Tue Nov 14 11:57:26 EST 2006

Hello,

> (1) That doesn't allow for per-user flags, only global flags.  Shared
>     folders.

ok, good point. I haven't worked with Shared Folders yet, but how and
where are flags stored then? Isn't the global flag what you want? If I'm
sharing a folder then I probably don't want to work on an email, that
somebody else has already read and replied. But if everyone has its own
flags I would never see if someone else touched a certain email.

> (2) With large-scale servers, this means that every flag-based action
>     involves a rename, which means file-system internal locks on the
>     directory.  This doesn't scale at the high end, but isn't a problem
>     for small to mid-size installations.

But I think rename()s are very cheap.

Anyway: I still don't have a working solution to backup and restore
mails including flags. Shouldn't this be a point especially on large
environments where the whole company mail traffic runs through IMAP so
the administrators can more easily backup mails on the servers than they
could by backing up the mailfolders on the client computers?

Regards
Marten