performance on large inboxes

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Thu Nov 9 12:43:01 EST 2006

On Thursday 09 November 2006 02:02, Paul Dekkers wrote:
> So maybe you're indeed facing the quality of your IMAP client

That can be a lot of it. I run a cyrus mail store on my local network and as
much as I like Kmail it is painfully slow opening folders with a lot of
messages (I have one with ~70,000) - even if there are no changes in the
mailbox and I just left it and went back to it, for some reason whatever it
is doing takes a long time (on a fast system with fast I/O and lots of
memory) and there is little to no load being placed on the server during this
time (according to top), while Thunderbird opens said folder instantly. I
really hope Kmail will catch up as an imap client sooner rather than later.

Chris