cyrus on 64-bit redhat

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Fri Nov 3 16:13:58 EST 2006

Hi,

Just wanted to share what was missing here...

A while back, I wrote:
> Hmm! Is anyone running Cyrus on 64-bit Red Hat?
>
> # ./configure
> checking build system type... Invalid configuration
> `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized
> configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu failed
> and from srpm:
> configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu failed

I was able to build this (source-rpm from invoca and from RHN) after
installing the 'redhat-rpm-config' package... which installs a more
recent version of config.sub than the one Cyrus comes with. (I'd still
plead for a newer version in the Cyrus distribution, it even solves a
bug in bugzilla ;-))

I thought of this while considering what happens on FreeBSD: there is a
recent config.sub version that is used for ports that require the
config.sub; I wondered if there was something like this for RH that I
just did not install, and I indeed found this package on a server that
was not installed as 'minimal' (as my mail-servers are)...

Yay! :-)

> I was considering an upgrade using Simon's rpm from 2.2.12 (Red Hat
> package, cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1) to the latest and greatest
> (cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-4) but it seems I'll have to think this over?
> Is that a sensible idea anyway, upgrading this RH version (older maybe
> modified version from Simon?) to a recent 2.3 rpm?
>
> Curious if there is any experience,
> I'm running 2.3 in a couple of setups and was confident about upgrading
> this (rather important) one, but the others are indeed all 32-bit...

I'm more confident about this now ;-) I'll just have to look into the
upgrade now.

Paul

P.S. I sent a message regarding this config.sub and RH/64bit-thing to
cyrus-bugs too, but never got a reply. I was not able to follow-up on
the bug in bugzilla (2761) that someone else created either, because I
was unable to create an account there (you get a 403) and I reported
this too. Was a bit disappointed by this :-S