Cyrus imapd 2.3.7 mupdate - getaddrinfo: service not supported for ai_socktype

Mark xa87n at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 3 14:59:54 EST 2006

--- Phil Pennock <info-cyrus-spodhuis at spodhuis.org> wrote:

> On 2006-11-03 at 06:14 -0800, Mark wrote:
> > I'm in the process of setting up Cyrus imapd 2.3.7 on OpenBSD 4.0
> > server.
> > This is a back end server, to be part of 2.2.12 murder setup
> already in
> > place. master starts fine, then when it executes ctl_mboxlist -m it
> > failes with this error in syslog:
> > Nov  3 03:00:26 testimap ctl_mboxlist[90]:
> getaddrinfo(192.168.20.8)
> > failed: service not supported for ai_socktype
> >
> > Version 2.2.12 works fine and connect to murder master without
> errors.
>
> On the same system?

Yes.

> > Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening?
>
> That error message is a complaint that the service (port) name can't
> be
> mapped, so getaddrinfo() is returning EAI_SERVICE.
>
> Are you sure that "imap" is listed in /etc/services as a tcp service?
>
> Checking the OpenBSD source for 4.0,
> <URL:http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/
> cvsweb/src/lib/libc/net/getaddrinfo.c?rev=1.56&content-type=text/
> x-cvsweb-markup>, there are four places which can return EAI_SERVICE.
> The first three don't apply, since imapd isn't asking for a raw
> socket
> and isn't specifying a number (and even if it were it's SOCK_STREAM
> so
> numbers are allowed).  That just leaves a failure of getservbyname().
>
> getservbyname() does no fancy stuff, it just asks for the various
> services, looping through them all until it finds the right item.
> AFAIK, OpenBSD doesn't support nsswitch; I could be wrong.  So
> there's
> just a file lookup.
>
> So it looks like an /etc/services issue.  OpenBSD's services includes
> imap by default; has it been removed?

Thanks a lot (and to Dennis). That was it, and I know you replied again
saying mupdate has to be in /etc/services but even this email triggered
the thought and connected the dots. It is trying to connect now, to
mupdate, tested without starting master itself and just by running
ctl_mboxlist -m. That is great. Thanks again. I'm having another error:

ctl_mboxlist[10222]: failed to bind to address 0.0.0.0: Invalid
argument

but I remember seeing it even with 2.2.12, and I will double check
that.

Mike