Login attack on cyrus imap

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Nov 2 17:33:47 EST 2006

On Friday 03 November 2006 07:53, Jim John wrote:
> Hi all. Our cyrus was hit by a "denial of service"
> type attack. Basically, they kept trying to login as
> different users per second. They didn't crash the
> server, but they did crash our LDAP which is what we
> used for authentication. We would like to know if
> there is a way to prevent these types of attacks? We
> use PLAIN LOGIN and Cyrus SASL for authentication.

My firewall protects against these sort of things - I use PF and it has a
feature where it can add an IP to a table if it attempts to connect more
often than you specify.

I have a script which removes old entries from the table - it is also very
effective at stopping SSH brute force attempts (which is why I added it in
the first place)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum