SQUAT failed

Keith Brazington keith.brazington at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 13:46:44 EST 2006

On 02/11/06, Phil Chambers <P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:30:53 +0100 Phil Pennock
> <info-cyrus-spodhuis at spodhuis.org> wrote:
>
> > On 2006-11-02 at 15:08 +0100, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> > > what is "SQUAT"? I have several lines like this in my logfile:
> >
> > "man -k squat" or "apropos squat" should point you to:
> > squatter(8)              - create SQUAT indexes for mailboxes
> >
> > That man-page explains how squatter provides indexes of mail content for
> > speeding up IMAP SEARCH and shows you how to use it.
> >
> > There will also be an entry in your cyrus.conf, EVENTS section, which is
> > starting these processes.
> >

> I do not use squat and do not have squatter in my cyrus.conf file but get
> these
> messages all the time. So, they are not produced by squatter running.
>
> In my logs they are being generated by imapd. Given that they are to help
> searches I am baffled. There are typically 170,000 to 200,000 instances of
> 'SQUAT failed to open index file' in my log each day and I can't believe
> that
> our users do that many searches!
>
> Phil.

Probably not, but they probably do open an IMAP session that number of times
and it is when they do attempt to open the SQUAT file  the error message
occurs. So you don't need to be running squatter for the messages to appear,
in fact they only appear when squatter isn't running. Once the index files
exist then you'll get a message like

Nov  1 09:59:01 hostname imapd[1920]: SQUAT returned 120 messages

instead.

Keith

--
Keith Brazington