Cyrus Patches used at FastMail.FM

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat May 27 09:37:02 EDT 2006

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2006, Ken Murchison wrote:
>> Comments on the non-local ones:
>> - cyrus-8bit-2.3.3.diff
>
> As I said in my reply to the CVS commit (which I noticed before this mail),
> I am quite surprised by this patch being accepted.
>
> Was it not the position held by CMU in the last five years or so that one
> such patch would *have* do to it properly and re-encode the header to some
> default charset, in order not to corrupt the store with lack of charset
> information (for searches) ?

I decided that I don't care to fight the fight any longer.  If people
want to continue to write/use crappy email clients that don't follow
specs, that's fine by me.  If admins want to let non-compliant email
messages into there store, they are now free to do so by disabling
munge8bit.

Let it be known that I (CMU) am not endorsing crappy/misconfigured
clients and/or non-compliant messages, nor am I endorsing disabling
munge8bit.

I will add text to imapd.conf(5) that states that disabling munge8bit
will most likely break SEARCH.

Henrique, do you recall if SEARCH dies, or just doesn't get any useful
hits on non-tagged 8-bit headers?

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer