cyrus+sendmail+lmtpunix connection refused by localhost

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at xl.wp.pl
Wed May 17 17:32:11 EDT 2006

Chris Harms <chris at cmiware.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> We have recently started to experience an inconsistent problem after
> restarting cyrus and sendmail after a nightly backup script runs.  All
> services seem to start properly, but mail delivery is deferred with
> sendmail logging
>
> dsn=4.4.1, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by localhost
>
> It appears to be something in lmtp, but we aren't sure what exactly.
> We are using the socket for lmtpunix delivery.  The magic bullet
> seemed to be stopping all services and removing
> /var/run/cyrus-master.pid and some old lmtp lock files, but then this
> may have been coincidental.  I found a few similar reports on Google,
> but no definite answers to this problem.
>
> Any insight as to why this would just start happening out of the blue
> would be most appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Chris Harms
>
> # additional info
>
> # Software versions
> cyrus 2.2.12
> sendmail 8.13.6
>
> # /var/imap/socket
> srwxrwxrwx 1 root  root  0 May 16 22:36 lmtp
>
> # cyrus.conf
>  lmtp          cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0
>  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1

Two recomended tests:
a) direct execution of deliver program
(echo subject: test; echo) | cyrdeliver -- mailbox_name
[ it will try to submit message via unix socket ]
b) making sendmail deliver the message in verbose mode
in sendmail-8.12+ as root execute:
(echo subject: test; echo)| sendmail -v mailbox_name

One possible source of problem: HostStatusDirectory option makes
sendmail "remember" for some time initial problems with delivery to
cyrus imap.
Have you set the option in your sendmail.cf?

--
[pl2en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at priv.onet.pl : anfi at xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.homeunix.net/           http://www.linkedin.com/in/andfil