Moving Servers

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Fri May 12 01:21:30 EDT 2006

> Hi all
>
> I'm moving my current installation of Cyrus to a new machine.  The
> old machine is RHEL3 running cyrus-imapd-2.2.8-1.  The new machine is
> RHEL4 running cyrus-imapd 2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1.  I'm also going to go
> from cyrus-sasl-2.1.15-10 to cyrus-sasl 2.1.19-5.EL4.
>
> Any words of wisdom before I make the leap from one machine to the
> other?  Known pitfalls for this particular jump?  Humorous anecdotes?

If you want to use the rpms shipped with RHEL4, be aware that they are old
versions of my cyrus-imapd rpms which are missing some features. The main
feature is that my rpms handle changes in BDB version in a nice way.
If you want to use my rpms, the procedure would be to rebuild the src rpm
for both distributions, install the new rpm on the RHEL3 box. Be sure to
start and stop cyrus-imapd at least once. Then move all related data
(/var/{lib,spool}/imap)via rsync to the new RHEL4 box, and start it up.

Simon