altnamespace with cyrus 2.3.3 and thundebird

Chris Wesdorp chris-mailing at occidopagus.nl
Thu May 4 16:58:17 EDT 2006

Hello,

After using Cyrus 2.1 for a few years I wanted to use a new Cyrus
version on my new server. Although it is not yet marked as stable I
downloaded version 2.3.3 and tried to connect to it with Thunderbird
1.5.0.2. The host system is a LFS 6.1 system.

Although I set the altnamespace option in the imapd.conf file all
folders are shown beneath the INBOX. When I checked the namespace
options in Thunderbird it came up with these values:
Personal namespace: "INBOX."
Public namespace:   ""
Other users:        "user."

Comparing these values to my old Cyrus version (2.1.15)
Personal namespace: ""
Public namespace:   "Public Folders."
Other users:        "Other Users."

Creating folders in Thunderbird with the mailbox select (1 level higher
than inbox) works but in cyradm these are created at root level, no
prefix what so ever. I tried to set the sharedprefix and userprefix
option but it did not help. Thunderbird configuration allows these
settings to be taken over from server. But also disables and filling the
2.1.15 values does not solve the problem.

Is this a bug of I am missing somehting here?

Regards,
Chris Wesdorp

Current imapd.conf:
# Begin /etc/imapd.conf

configdirectory: /srv/cyrus/imap
partition-default: /srv/cyrus/spool
srvtab: /srv/cyrus/srvtab

admins: root chris cyrus

sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_minimum_layer: 0
allowanonymouslogin: no
allowplaintext: yes

altnamespace: yes
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
sievedir: /srv/cyrus/sieve
hashimapspool: true

tls_cert_file: /srv/cyrus/imap/server.pem
tls_key_file: /srv/cyrus/imap/server.pem

# End /etc/imapd.conf

Output of listmailbox in cyradm as user cyrus:
Mailpj1 (\HasNoChildren)
Trash (\HasNoChildren)
user.chris (\HasChildren)
user.chris.Archief (\HasNoChildren)