cyrus-imap refusing postfix connection

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Fri Mar 31 16:39:32 EST 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, freemy list wrote:

> Hello everyone, I really hope someone can help me here.  I have
> cyrus-imapd-2.2.3-8.1 installed on a RH9 server with Squirrelmail
> connecting int.
>
>  I have accounts created and I can connect to them through SM.
>
>  I have another server set up with postfix-2.2.9-1 that I built from
> source.  SM can send out emails but when someone sends an email to teh
> domain my cyrus server refuses the lmtp:inet:192.168.1.83 connection
> from my postfix main.cf file
>
>  Can anyone point me in the direction of tutorials or help with setting
> up a system where the SMTP is on a different server than the imap
> mailstore?

We run postfix on our campus mail relays (5 of them) which deliver mail to
Cyrus using LMTP.  Our cyrus server is a separate box.  On the mail
relays, postfix is configured with a transport map to shove mail for one
domain to cyrus over LMTP.  On the cyrus server, we use a hosts.deny file
to restrict LMTP connections to just the mail relays, so that people
cannot inject mail and bypass our filters.  Make sure you have set lmtpd
to "preauth" the connections using the "-a" option, like so:

   lmtp          cmd="/usr/local/cyrus/bin/lmtpd -a" listen="lmtp" prefork=0

Let me know if you have more questions.

 	Andy