cyrus cluster - veritas - sun - or else

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 31 13:47:24 EST 2006

lenny at edpausa.com wrote:

>Can anyone share experiences with setting up cyrus in active-active cluster
>environment. Things like OS, cluster software, storage, filesystem, config
>options, locking type, database or flat and any other tips and tricks.

The University of Pittsburgh is running cyrus imap on a 4-node
active-active Veritas cluster.  To answer your questions, it's all
Solaris 8, Veritas cluster software, an EMC cx700 SAN for storage,
Veritas Cluster filesystem, relatively normal cyrus config options with
a "node-name" option added as a way to create unique lmtp delivery stage
files, using all flat for the cyrus db files.

During the time I worked there, it proved to be remarkably stable.  When
it was originally set up, there were some performance problems with
Veritas Cluster filesystem.  Minor code modifications to cyrus (to
change the mmap behavior) solved that, and it performed extremely well
after that.

Thanks,

Dave