delivery errors

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Mar 29 12:05:53 EST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 lenny at edpausa.com wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with troubleshooting this ?
> Still having this very serious problem.
>

>> a couple times every hour this comes up in the log for some of the users
>> and
>> the sender gets a bounce back with complain about delivery to
>> /var/imap/socket/lmtp. This seems to be very random and while this happens
>> with less then 5% of mail traffic, some important stuff bounces for no
>> apparent reason. The install is cyrus 2.2, recently upgraded from freebsd
>> ports from 2.1 via portupgrade.
>>

>> relay=/var/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/imap/socket/lmtp], delay=0,
>> status=deferred (remote protocol error in reply from
>> /var/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/imap/socket/lmtp] while sending end of data --
>> message may be sent more than once)

Do you have any way to "sniff" the traffic on this connection?  (I'm
drawing a blank how you sniff a socket).  It seems to be saying there was
a protocol error, but without a capture it would be hard to tell why.

The only data point I can offer is that I had mail delivery problems when
I upgraded to 2.2.12 and Berkeley DB 4.3.  I was getting spurious BDB
errors in the LMTP connection which the mail relay was interpreting as
SMTP/LMTP codes.  Are you using Berkeley DB 4.3 or greater?

 	Andy