pop3 connection timeout & lock problem

Kevin McWilliams mcwilliams14 at llnl.gov
Thu Mar 23 12:03:37 EST 2006

I have a question about the timeouts on pop3 connections. It looks like
the code doesn't allow for a timeout less than 10 minutes. This causes a
problem with some of my users who are connecting via dial-up or some
other slow network connection. If they login and then lose their
connection to the server the mailbox remains locked.

However from what I can tell the timeout is reset after each attempt to
login, which keeps the mailbox perpetually locked if you attempt within
10 minutes. So when they get their connection backup and try again they
get the "Mailbox is locked" error.

So my questions are:

Is there a reason I can't change the timeout to be less than 10 minutes
@ pop3d.c:407? Say 3-5 minutes?

Why is the timeout reset on each connection?
Here I am refering to prot.c:1026 & 1032. As best I can tell this where
the timeouts are reset to "now + this_timeout".

I am running cyrus-2.2.12 on RedHat AS4 x86_64.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin McWilliams
Open LabNet
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory