430 Authentication required

Per-Olov Sjöholm pos at incedo.org
Wed Mar 22 11:56:29 EST 2006

On Wed, February 1, 2006 16:32, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> Hi...
>
>>From time to time, I get the following in my logs :
>
> sm-mta[29466]: k1183niY029466: to=username, delay=00:00:00,
>  xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=cyrusv2, pri=30000, relay=localhost
>  [[UNIX: /var/imap/socket/lmtp]], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred:
>  430 Authentication required
>
> The message then get stuck and it is delivered  when the queue is flushed.
> The strange thing is that I do _not_ use any smtp authentication system
> (nor any
> other actually) and that this problem only happens randomly (no error in
> my
> cyrus-imapd log either).
>
> On usenet one told me to try :
> $ (echo 'subject: test'; echo)| sendmail -Am -v username at domain.tld
> username at domain.tld... Connecting to local...
> username at domain.tld... Sent
>
> It works fine. It's kind of a pain to debug since it only happens from
> time to
> time and I cannot find a way to reproduce this.
>
> Do you have any idea where this could come from ?
> Let me know if you need anymore information.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Antoine
> ----

Hi Antoine

Any solution to this yet?

Asking as I have had the same thing for a while now. And as you say, a
queue run from sendmail and the mail is delivered... And it also happens
randomly as you say.

The problem came with the OpenBSD 37-3.8 upgrade (the OS or a newer
sendmail). If it's not the OS or the newer sendmail it must be a change i
the cyrus 2.2.12 port that I now use from 3.8 stable tree instead of the
earlier inofficial 2.2.12 port. The cyrus and sendmail conf is exactly the
same.

Thanks
Per-Olov Sjöholm