Any ideas? Cyrus takes 5 minutes to start

Mika Iisakkila mika.iisakkila at pingrid.fi
Fri Mar 17 15:03:07 EST 2006

Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:
> I did manage to get a couple minutes of truss output the other day but I
> had to kill it before it finished.  It looked very repetitive, with a
> lot of this:

Well, it has to wade through every mailbox to check out that they
are OK. Five minutes for startup can be quite normal if you have
lots of mailboxes. That's I/O intensive stuff, so those plenty of
CPU cycles that you seem to have available might not help much there.

(Yes, I've always wondered myself what's happening back there
too, but never bothered to find out. Apparently Cyrus does this
in some brute-force way, one mailbox at a time -- in your truss
segment, it seems to read in three megabytes' worth of mailboxes.db
file over and over again.)

--mika