what encryption is used by Cyrus to encrypt passwords?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Mar 15 11:33:30 EST 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 16:40 +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

>>> Why not buil cyrus to read users from LDAP?
>> It would be problematic here.
>>
>> Right now I have several LDAP (Samba) databases on different servers -
>> for different user groups.
>>
>> On the other hand, one MySQL (cyrus) database is used for all users.
>>
>> So, if I wanted to make Cyrus read from LDAP, it would have to read from
>> several LDAP servers.
>>
>> Can it do it? I didn't google much, but perhaps it's either impossible,
>> or hard to do.
>>

>> So I assumed the approach I described earlier would be easier.
> ----
> I would expect that you could set up one of your LDAP servers to do
> referrals to the other proxy servers so you would only need to set up
> one LDAP reference within cyrus.

Technically, I should be able to do this.
Perhaps it's not the best group to ask - what will happen if the
connection between the two LDAP server is broken, and we use referrals
as here [1]:

   ref: ldap://b.example.net/dc=subtree,dc=example,dc=net

> I would also suggest that sambaNTPassword and sambaLMPassword attributes
> are not SSHA but rather a Microsoft form of hash. The userPassword
> attribute (if you samba users are also posixAccount/shadowAccount
> objectclasses) could possibly be SSHA.

This I know.
What I want to know is what Cyrus uses - certainly it's not a Microsoft
hash :) and not SSHA.

[1] http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/referrals.html

--
Tomasz Chmielewski