Latin1/UTF8 chars?

Dennis Davis D.H.Davis at bath.ac.uk
Tue Mar 14 11:45:45 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh at debian.org>
> To: Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>
> Cc: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
> Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:11:49 -0300
> Subject: Re: Latin1/UTF8 chars?
>
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> > >These chars in the subject line are replaced with X by what I
> > >assume to be Cyrus. (The mails go through Fetchmail, Postfix,
> > >Cyrus and Thunderbird and yes, it could be any one of them, but
> > >my bet is on Cyrus at the moment.)
> >
> > I doubt it was Cyrus.  Cyrus (unless patched) will simply reject
> > such
>
> Cyrus 2.1 either replaces invalid chars with an X or rejects the
> message. I believe 2.2 works exactly the same way, but I didn't
> check.

Driven by the setting of "reject8bit" in /etc/imapd.conf in both
Cyrus 2.2.* and 2.3.*.  The default is to change 8-bit characters
to "X".  Set "reject8bit" to have lmtpd reject messages with 8-bit
characters in the headers.
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis at bath.ac.uk               Phone: +44 1225 386101