Migrate message flags to cyrus

Michael Menge Michael.Menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Mar 13 04:25:40 EST 2006

Sorry for waiting so long,

original imapsync-1.140 needed 40 min for 5x 100MB mail
patched imapsync-1.121 needed 35 min for 5x 100MB mail
mailutil needed 13 min for 10x 100MB  mail

imapsync is consuming much more CPU Time and needs much more memory so
that you cant run more than 5 instances parallel.

i think mailutil is faster and needs less memory because it is written in C

imapsync is more options to rename and change folder names, so if you
don't need the sped of mailutil, imapsync is still a good choice.

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Quoting Michael Menge <Michael.Menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de>:
>
>> The best way to perserve the flags is by transfering the eMails over
>> the  IMAP-Protocol. There are severel tools to do this job. Most of
>> them are written to sync two ore more mailfolders.
>>
>> As far as i have tested them there was no perfect ore even best
>> migration tool.
>>
>> We will use the mailutil programm which comes with the uw-imap server.
>> It was the fastest programm and it keeps the flags.
>
> Another tool that I used for "small" migrations was imapsync.  Michael,
> I beleive I sent you my patched version of imapsync.  Could you tell me
> what was a speed difference between imapsync and mailutil that you
> observed?  I'll need to move one huge mailbox in near future, so just
> wondering if it would make sense using mailutil for this job instead of
> imapsync.

M.Menge                                 Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universitaet Tuebingen                  Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung          mail: menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Waechterstrasse 76
72074 Tuebingen