Mailbox path problem

Lari Huttunen cyrus-info at huttu.net
Tue Mar 7 15:01:57 EST 2006

Cheers,

I've been testing a setup, where I have users authenticated against
LDAP and mailstore virtual domain support turned on for cyrus. The
authentication through saslauthd is finally working but for some
reason only the user INBOXes in the default domain are located at
login time. My test setup is the following on OpenBSD 3.8:

cyrus-imapd-2.2.12
cyrus-sasl-2.1.20p4-ldap
openldap-server-2.2.27p0
exim-4.44p0

$ cat imapd.conf
# $OpenBSD: imapd.conf,v 1.1.1.1 2005/03/27 18:01:50 alek Exp $
# imapd.conf(5)

configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
hashimapspool: 1
unixhierarchysep: no
umask: 007
sievedir: /var/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
lmtp_downcase_rcpt: 1
admins: admin
virtdomains: userid
loginrealms: default.tld virt1.tld virt2.tld virt3.tld
defaultdomain: default.tld
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN

$ cat saslauthd.conf
ldap_servers: ldap://127.0.0.1
ldap_bind_dn: cn=admin,dc=hosting,dc=service
ldap_bind_pw: SECRET
ldap_search_base: dc=hosting,dc=service
ldap_version: 3
ldap_filter: uid=%U
ldap_scope: sub

As stated above the authentication against ldap is finally working,
as well as delivery to both the default and virtual domains. At
login time, however, the following takes place:

default domain example:

$ nc imap.server 143
* OK imap.server Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12 server ready
a01 login username at default.tld password
a01 OK User logged in
a01 select INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)]
* 0 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1141567025]
* OK [UIDNEXT 2]
a01 OK [READ-WRITE] Completed

virtual domain example:

$ nc imap.server 143
* OK imap.server Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12 server ready
a01 login username at virt1.tld password
a01 OK User logged in
a01 select INBOX
a01 NO Mailbox does not exist

For some reason the authentication against LDAP only works if
virtdomains: is set to "userid" and not "on". The user inboxes seem
to be laid out under /var/spool/imap for the default domain and
under /var/spool/imap/domain for the virtual domains. Somehow this
translation for the virtual domains is not taking place after a
succesful login. Any ideas why not?

Sincerely,

Lari Huttunen