INTERNALDATE one hour in future for sent message

Phil Pennock info-cyrus-spodhuis at spodhuis.org
Wed Jun 28 15:33:04 EDT 2006

On 2006-06-28 at 10:21 -0400, Jim Brett wrote:
> INTERNALDATE (hence received date?) one hour in future for sent
> message.

Unix systems should be run in GMT/UTC (almost the same thing; GMT is
_not_ "British time").

You then use $TZ in the environment, or some OS-dependent way of setting
'localtime' (eg, a symlink /etc/localtime, or some other method) to let
programs show the time in the local zone.  That's normally handled by
libc.

> I've searched cyrus wiki plus web but haven't found an answer.  From
> what I can tell, setting of the received date for sent message is in the
> sphere of influence of the IMAP server.

It's really just asking the operating system for "the current time", so
the OS is not using GMT.

> correct for sent mail i.e. would work 6 months per year.   <- Update: I
> did try that and it works correctly so there is a timezone issue somewhere.

Don't run the OS with the kernel's clock in local time, or you'll have
all sorts of ongoing problems, biting you in subtle ways.

You don't mention the OS you're using (or I missed it) so I can't say
what the actual method of setting the system "localtime" is whilst
leaving the kernel in GMT.
--
"Everything has three factors: politics, money, and the right way to do it.
 In that order."  -- Gary Donahue