Using non-default folder structures

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Wed Jun 28 13:09:24 EDT 2006

> Hello,
>
> in our current maildir setup, we splitted the maildirs according to the
> first
> two letters, which gives more performance to the filesystem since less
> entries
> are in one directory.
>
> Example: Mails to info at test.com would be stored into
>
> /var/spool/mail/t/te/test.com/info
>
> How can I do this with Cyrus? Do I have to create a partition for each
> combination of the first two letters?
>
> Like
>
> /var/spool/mail/a/aa
> /var/spool/mail/a/ab
> /var/spool/mail/a/ac
> /var/spool/mail/a/ad
> /var/spool/mail/a/ae

Check the two options in imapd.conf:

hashimapspool: 0
If enabled, the partitions will also be hashed,  in  addition  to
the  hashing  done  on configuration directories.  This is recom-
mended if one partition has a very bushy mailbox tree.

fulldirhash: 0
If  enabled,  uses  an  improved  directory  hashing scheme which
hashes the entire username instead of using just the  first  let-
ter.   This changes hash algorithm used for quota and user direc-
tories and if hashimapspool is enabled, the entire mail spool.

Simon