migrating from dovecot to cyrus

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Jun 26 14:09:28 EDT 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Marten Lehmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm about to migrate an pop3/imap server from dovecot to cyrus. I'm planning
> to use the cyrus murder cluster in the long run, but the setup is a complex.
> And since the migration from dovecot to cyrus shall be done very soon because
> of performance problems in the current setup, I guess I can start faster with
> the standarc cyrus.
>
> Is it possible to migrate from cyrus to cyrus murder later or do I have to
> setup a cyrus-murder completely separate so I cannot reuse parts of the
> standard cyrus setup?

You can start with a single cyrus server and turn it into cyrus murder
easily later.  We just did that "migration" a week ago here, and it was
totally painless.  As with everything, I'd suggest doing it in a test
environment first.

Basically, all we did was bring up an empty murder master and 2 frontends,
then we reconfigured the backend server to use murder and restarted it.
Poof!  :)

 	Andy