Looking for a *good* X based GUI IMAP client for Cyrus IMAP ...

Greg A. Woods woods-cyrus at weird.com
Thu Jun 22 16:43:39 EDT 2006

At Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:59:28 +0200,
Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 20:51 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Murray Trainer wrote:
> > > Evolution isn't perfect but it can do that.  There is a "show only
> > > subscribed folders" button that is on by default but you can turn it
> > > off.
> >
> > Right, but that only gives you your inbox, not any subfolders one might
> > have created ...
>
> what?  the button works as advertised for me.

Wow!  It does seem to do so!  Too bad it's hidden so well in the
per-account configuration.  I _HATE_ the stupid inconsistencies in
mozilla products preferences interfaces.

However now that it's set up I can see that it probably relates to the
global mail.server.default.using_subscription flag which one can get to
with the "Config Editor..." button in the Advanced preferences pane, on
the General sub-tab.

This whole "folder subscriptions" idea seems like total B.S. junk to me.

On the other hand Sylpheed-Claws (1.0.4) doesn't seem to see new folders
at all, unless you add them using its own interface.  It's really fast
once it's running, but it's really slow on startup (and depending on
your options on the "get new mail" operation) -- it has to scan every
folder for some reason and for some reason it's really slow at that.
You can tell it, per-folder, whether or not to process on startup and
"get new mail", but you pretty much have to do that on all folders if
you want to use more than one IMAP client.

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>