what is the best way to migrate

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Thu Jun 22 14:53:10 EDT 2006

Jared Watkins wrote:

>> I'm still looking for a way to do the sync without knowing the password
>> of the user.  Any idea's?
> I've used a dummy ldap backend with a copy of all our accounts.. but
> with the same known password.  You are down during the migration..  but
> it's fairly easy to setup and cutover.

Well, we are going to migrate nearly 40000 accounts, with some accounts
being 4GB.  Our aim is no downtime.

I had a look at the FAQ of imapsync and it seems that I can authenticate
as the admin user, but authorize as a normal user.  I hope that works!
It would be great!

For no downtime we would kick of the sync in advance, and after some
time we would have an almost identical copy.  Then let the users connect
to the new server(s) and let lmtp deliver to the new server(s).  Then do
a last sync to get the last mails over.

I haven't tested this, so maybe I'm to hopefull.  Maybe we can do it for
small/big accounts only.  I'll see if I come to that.

Rudy