Mailbox name diferent than login name in IMAP/POP, possible?

Pedro Algarvio ufs at ufsoft.org
Sun Jun 18 13:48:50 EDT 2006

Quoting Igor Brezac <igor at ipass.net>:

> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, Pedro Algarvio wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to login like username at domain.tld and get the
>> mailbox for that user to be for example username_domain.tld?
>>
>> I'm using ldap as the saslauthd backend, so would it be possible to
>>  translate username at reaml to username_realm, that way users could
>> login with their normal email address to services like pop/imap.
>>
>> I know authentication is possible, that's plain ldap, but the
>> mailbox "translation" is my doubt.
>>
>> P.S.: I'd like to get this without using cyrus virtdomains setting,
>>  or at least leaving it to off.
>
> You will need to write/hack code for this to work.  You have several
> hack an existing authorization module, hack ptloader/ldap code or write
> your own ptloader plugin, or write a custom canon sasl plugin.
>
> --
> Igor

Where exacly should I "hack" the code to achieve this?
And how exactly can I tell cyrus to use a mailbox name diferent from
the username, will a PTLOADER be able to do this?

To make things harder, I don't know C, I'm just reading documentation
as need, although I might get some help from somewhone who knows but
he's not that aquainted to cyrus, so any starting points would be
wonderfull.

Perhaps another config var could be added to the ldap PTLOADER so that
we can provide the maildrop ldap attribute name, besides maildrop of
course(this might be another way).

Well, what I think the ldap ptloader could gain is give the user the
ability to provide the atribute he wants to retain from an ldap query.
Just some other ideas to improve your ptloader.

Thanks!

--
Pedro Algarvio
`-------'    `-------'    ufs [AT] sapo [DOT] pt